Thursday, September 4, 2008

McCain for President!

John McCain's speech tonight accepting the Republican nomination for president did not elevate him to the lofty post of the Saint Louis Conservative's favorite politician.  But it did convince me that I don't need to hold my nose quite so tightly when I vote for him in November.  

I still have real problems with McCain on some of his domestic policy points and I'm not sure that he is truly conservative.  I remain worried about the type of judge that he might appoint to the federal courts, including the Supreme Court, but I must admit that he hit the conservative bulls-eye with the first appointed position he filled.

And since Barack Obama agrees with McCain on the things that I disagree with him about, those issues are a wash.

What McCain said tonight that brought me over to his side was his personal story about what our great country meant to him.  Looking to the American people, McCain made a solemn vow.  "My country saved me," he said, "and I will fight for her as long as I draw breath so help me God."  I believe him.  And I believe that McCain is the man to to continue the fight for America in this dangerous world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think he hit a home run. The Democratic response seems to be less intense today than it had been earlier in the week, which may speak volumes.

Looking forward to the debates. I think they will win or loose the race for either ticket.

thetimman said...

"I'm not sure that he is truly conservative."

I'm sure. He's not.

Vote for him anyway.

GO PALIN!!

Anonymous said...

He isn't a Reagan Conservative, but he is conservative on some important issues, such as defending our Country and keeping the taxes low. Of course, his pro-life stand will remain firm because he is reaching out to the Conservative base, which pleases me.

I do not think the debates will make such an impact on his potential presidency. I do think that campaigning will, and having Palin to go on the trail is a definite plus!

He is a war hero, and a great American! Obama is an elitist, snob. Now, if only the American people will take off the blinders and see that!