Sunday, December 14, 2008

Barack Obama: A legend before his time

Earlier this month, a St. Louis City alderman (Kacie Starr Triplett) proposed designation of Delmar Boulevard as "Barack Obama Boulevard."  (Link to KSDK story here.)  The idea to name a street in honor of a man who hasn't done ANYTHING yet was, of course, just plain silly and - because of other things going on - didn't even warrant a mention in this space.

But the Obama legend is already (and still) growing.  Since my Christmas shopping is not yet finished, I was perusing this weekend's Target ad when, what to my wondering eyes should appear but Barack, a children's book by Jonah Winter.  (See some of the book for yourself, here.)

Let me repeat, HE HASN'T DONE ANYTHING YET.  But he's got a children's book about his life on the shelves at Target, on sale this week.

I happened to make a Target run today and took a look at Barack while I was there.  I almost lost my lunch.

Winter dedicates the book to Obama, "with much love and admiration" and proceeds to tell the "story" of this man "whose history-making presidential candidacy was largely due to the quality of his character" and "achieved greatness."

Obama hasn't even taken his oath of office yet and his cult of personality's primer is in print.


No comments: