Friday, October 30, 2009

Vote "Yes" on Tuesday in St. Louis County

I've never met a tax increase I liked.  Trust me on that one.  Generally, I would prefer that people keep and spend their money as they see fit . . . but some things can't be done privately.  One such thing is emergency response.

And, right now, emergency responders in St. Louis County aren't being given modern tools to do their jobs.  Instead, they're working with antique communications equipment and if disaster strikes, lives will likely be lost because of it.

But passing Proposition E-911 on Tuesday's County ballot will provide a modern communications system for radio communication, give emergency call centers the ability to trace the location of cellular calls to 911, and add or repair tornado warning sirens across the area.  These upgrades would be paid for by a 1/10 of 1 cent sales tax (that's 1 dollar on every thousand spent) on purchases in St. Louis County.

For more detail, check out Nancy Larson's article in the St. Louis Beacon.  (Link here.)

It is worth it.  I'm voting "yes" on E-911.  I hope you will too.

1 comment:

thetimman said...

I couldn't disagree with you more.