Monday, October 11, 2010

Catching up . . .

I clipped a couple of articles from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch last week and didn't find the time to write about them.  Thinking that I would have time, I didn't bother to note the date that the article appeared either so I apologize for no links.  But each article bothered me.

The first article was headlined "Stimulus payment sent to the dead, imprisoned."  According to the Associated Press story, $18,000,000.00 in "stimulus" payments were sent by the federal government to 72,000 dead people last year.  72,000!  See, you don't need to worry about Washington bureaucrats running the entire American healthcare system.  They're efficient and on-the-ball!

The second article (also from the AP) contained the positive-spin headline "TARP repayments help cut deficit slightly."  Yet the year's budget deficit remains, get this, "a little under $1.3 trillion [YES, TRILLION - WITH A "T"]."  But here's the kicker . . . "that means the government borrowed 37 cents out of every dollar it spent."  Who is going to pay that back?  Obama?  Pelosi?  Or you, me, and our kids and grandkids?

No comments: